Find your Next Adventure !
Facilities & Attractions
Tourist attractions and the latest trendy spots.
A short walking trail (about ten minutes one way) leads from the ropeway station into the volcanic zone to a number of steam vents and bubbling pools.
Lake Ashi, also referred to as Hakone Lake or Ashinoko Lake, is a scenic lake in the Hakone areaLake Ashinoko (芦ノ湖, Ashinoko) was formed in the caldera
Hakone Shrine (箱根神社), one of the most sacred spots in Hakone, is famous for its torii gate floating on the edge of Lake Ashi. Many tourists visit the s
The Hakone Open Air Museum (箱根彫刻の森美術館, Hakone Chōkoku No Mori Bijutsukan) successfully attempts to create a harmonic balance of nature and art by exhib
Visiting Odawara Castle (小田原城), located a little east of Hakone, is one of the best things to do in the Hakone area to experience Japanese traditional
YUNESSUN is a hot spring theme park located in the famous sight-seeing area Hakone in Kanagawa Prefecture. There are unique baths such as the Coffee Ba
Its is an easy day trip from Tokyo and has plenty of accommodation options for longer stays. Yumoto, at the entrance to the Hakone area near Odawara
- Best Time to Visit
- How to Reach Hakone
- Resorts & City Guide
- Pros & Cons
- SPRING (March - May)
- Humidity and temperatures combine to make this season feel moderate. Highs range from 25.3°C and 13.2°C with warmer temperatures in the later months. Rain is somewhat common with 8 to 10 days of significant precipitation per month. Spring is the busiest for tourism, which makes it a good time for those looking for things to do.
Weather: Max 17.7° C | Min 9.7° C
- SUMMER (June - September)
- The middle-year months have very comfortable weather with high temperatures that are quite warm. These months see moderate precipitation with 6 to 10 days of precipitation per month. June – August is fairly slow season for tourism in Hakone, so lodging and other accommodations may cost slightly less.
Weather: Max 27.3° C | Min 21° C
- AUTUMN (September - November)
- Fall daily highs range from 30.7°C and 16.2°C, which will feel very nice given the humidity and wind. It rains or snows a significant amount: 7 to 8 days per month. Tourism is the slowest during these months due to the weather, so hotels may be affordably priced.
Weather: Max 21° C | Min 15° C
- WINTER (December - February)
- Weather is too cold this time of year in Hakone to be enjoyable for warm weather travellers. The average high during this season is between 15°C and 10.6°C. On average , it rains or snows a fair amount: 4 to 7 times per month. These times of year are the second busiest with tourists.
Weather: Max 10.7° C | Min 3.7° C
The nearest airport to Hakone is Tokyo Haneda (HND) Airport which is 76.5 km away. Other nearby airports include Shizuoka (FSZ) (91.8 km), Tokyo Narita (NRT) (136.5 km).
There are many great and convenient options for you to try. Train is the best way to get to Hakone from Tokyo. You have the choice between the JR Tokaido line and the Odakyu Line leaving from Shinjuku. If you have a JR Railpass use the Tokaido line Shinkansen and change trains at Odawara Station. The Odakyu line runs the Romance Car, a comfortable direct ride to Hakone Yumoto Station. Your train ride takes between 50 and 90 minutes depending on the train you take.
Driving a car to Hakone from Tokyo only takes about an hour. You can enter the Hakone mountains from the base of Mt. Fuji by using the Tomei Expressway and exiting at the Gotenba Interchange. This route will connect you directly to the Hakone highlands. Many people take the more popular route to enter the Hakone mountains from below by exiting the Tomei Expressway for the Odawara-Atsugi Road at Atsugi then getting off at Hakoneguchi Interchange.
The one way trip between Tokyo and Kanazawa by highway bus takes about 7-8 hours and costs around 6000 to 8000 yen depending on the bus and date of travel. There are daytime and overnight buses. Discount bus operators, such as Willer Express, offer one way fares from around 4500 yen. If used effectively, the Japan Bus Pass can reduce the cost for the bus trip to around 3000 yen. Online reservations can be made through Willer and Japan Bus Online.
By Private Transfer
Private transfer is available from Tokyo to Hakone
Review and Rating
All Japan Powder Ski Holiday' clients are given the opportunity to review their trip once they return home. These reviews are administered by a third party and as such are unfiltered by Japan Powder.